January 24, 2019
1. The concept of Medieval Europe and its Literature
- The concept of European Literature and of Romance Studies
- Genres in the Middle Ages
- Literary production in France - Italy - Iberian Peninsula
- Curtius’ reading
Comments and reactions to The Name of the Rose:
- Look for information about the political situation in Italy and Europe in the XIV century
- Umberto Eco, Il nome de la rosa (1980)
- Characters: choose a character and analyse it
- What was the monastic culture? and the Religious orders (Benedictins, Franciscans…)
- Why William of Baskerville and Adso of Melk are Franciscan?
- Make a list and description of all deaths and murders
- How is represented the sentiment of guilty in the film (give examples)
- The fear of heresy (examples)
- The role and meaning of Salvatore
- Theological meaning of the laughter and Aristotle’s Second Poetics
- Role of the library and the “finis Africae”
- Choose your prefered episode and share it with your fellows.
- Ernst Robert Curtius. “European Literature.” In: European Literature and the Latin Middle Ages, Princeton University Press, 2013, pp. 1-16.
- Jacques Le Goff, Medieval Civilization, Trans. by Julia Barrow, Blackwell: Oxford UK & Cambridge USA, 1988, pp. 255-324.
- The Name of the Rose, dir. by Jean-Jacques Annaud, 1986.